Latest Views

Brakspear supports local events in Henley...
View
Artists' open studios and exhibitions across Oxfordshire...
View
An exhibition of paintings on canvas by year 7 & 8 students...
View
Find somewhere to stay in Southern Oxfordshire and the Vale


home > Towns & Villages > About Didcot > About Blewbury



About Blewbury


A village of timber framed buildings at the north edge of the Berkshire Downs, Blewbury has existed for well over 1000 years. Located 14 miles South of Oxford it has a Saxon stone church with a peal of eight bells repaired and re-hung for the millennium.

In 634 AD St Birinus preached Christianity from a round barrow in Blewbury, known as Churn Knob. His success in converting the pagan tribes resulted in permission to set up an abbey in Dorchester-on-Thames, celebrated annually with a pilgrimage from Churn Knob to Dorchester.

A number of springs arise at the foot of the chalk downs here, feeding a small lake where watercress was once commercially produced. The streams pass through the older part of the village passing attractive timber framed buildings, green open spaces and a network of footpaths, some of which are bordered by thatched cob walls. The streams feed the Mill Brook which carries water to the river Thames at Wallingford.
 
The village has a remarkable theatrical tradition. There is an open air theatre holding 250 in the grounds of Orchard Dene house, where very high quality productions are put on each summer. These involve amateur actors and back stage workers under professional direction. Similar quality is in evidence in other theatrical events put on in the Village Hall. The spoof "Blewbury Operas" is just one example.


Claim to fame:

  • Blewbury Mill on Mill Brook is where blotting paper was discovered.
  • Blewbury residents have included artist John Revel, illustrator Trissy Webster and the writers Kenneth Grahame and Marguerite Steen. 

 



View Larger Map