Latest Views

Brakspear supports local events in Henley...
View
Artists' open studios and exhibitions across Oxfordshire...
View
An exhibition of paintings on canvas by year 7 & 8 students...
View
Find somewhere to stay in Southern Oxfordshire and the Vale


home > Towns & Villages > About Abingdon on Thames > Kingston Bagpuize



Kingston Bagpuize

 
Set in the civil parish of Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor, the village is located about 6 miles (10 km) west of Abingdon.
 
The name Kingston Bagpuize is derived from the village's original name Kingston plus the surname of Ralph de Bachepuz, a Norman nobleman from Bacquepuis in Normandy who aided William of Normandy in the Norman conquest of England in 1066.

The Church of England parish church of Saint John the Baptist was designed by John Fidel of Faringdon and built in 1799–1800. The building was remodelled in 1882 to the designs of Edwin Dolby.

Kingston Bagpuize House seems to have been built in about 1720. In the 20th century it was the home of John Buchan, 2nd Baron Tweedsmuir, the son of the novelist John Buchan, 1st Baron Tweedsmuir.

In the Second World War there was a satellite airfield of RAF Abingdon west of the village. Remnants of the control tower are still visible near the cricket club. The lower part of the avenue of trees leading down from Kingston Bagpuize House were cut down during this time for aircraft safety.

Kingston Bagpuize Cricket Club plays in The Oxford Times Cherwell Cricket League. Kingston Bagpuize and Southmoor have a bowls club and a Women's Institute. Kingston Bagpuize has an amateur theatre group.

Claim to Fame

In 2012, the movie 'Tortoise in Love', was filmed in the village. The film was funded entirely with Crowd funding from Kingston Bagpuize and the neighbouring village of Southmoor.



View Larger Map