Latest Views

Brakspear supports local events in Henley...
View
Artists' open studios and exhibitions across Oxfordshire...
View
An exhibition of paintings on canvas by year 7 & 8 students...
View
Find somewhere to stay in Southern Oxfordshire and the Vale


home > Towns & Villages > About Abingdon on Thames > Marcham



Marcham

Marcham is a village and civil parish about 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

The land gently slopes southwards from the village towards the River Ock. Lying on light soil associated with the coral ridge which existed here some 150 million years ago, there was Marcham Brook for water and water meadows for farming but the settlement was high enough to avoid flooding.

The name 'Marcham' derives from Anglo-Saxon meaning riverside meadow - where wild celery still grows.
The oldest house in the village, Hyde Farm, dates from 1290 and shows some civil war damage. There was a small skirmish around the village at that time.

Marcham was mainly agricultural until the mid twentieth century and grew slowly until that time. The population nearly doubled in the 1960s with the building of a large estate to the north-east of the existing village.

The tower of the Church of England Parish Church of All Saints dates from early in the 13th century. It has a ring of six bells. The remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1837.

The National Federation of Women's Institutes has Denman College, its residential adult education college, in Marcham.

Marcham Football Club plays in North Berks Football League Division Two.


View Larger Map