Latest Views

Brakspear supports local events in Henley...
Artists' open studios and exhibitions across Oxfordshire...
An exhibition of paintings on canvas by year 7 & 8 students...
Find somewhere to stay in Southern Oxfordshire and the Vale

home > Towns & Villages > About Faringdon > Uffington


Uffington is a village and civil parish about 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Faringdon. It is most commonly associated with the Uffington White Horse hill figure, a marvellous chalk figure that overlooks the village.

In 1630, Elizabeth Craven, widow of Sir William Craven, bought the Uffington and Compton estates from Sir Francis Jones.

The Church of England parish church of St Mary is known as The Cathedral of the Vale and has the rare feature of a hexagonal tower.
The village is in the middle of the Vale of the White Horse, otherwise known as the Ock Valley. Like most parishes in the Vale, Uffington parish is long and thin, running north-south, so that it includes both low-lying arable land and grazing upland on the Berkshire Downs. We recommend the Uffington Village Trail which includes the 'Cathedral of the Vale'!
The River Ock forms most of its northern boundary. The western boundary runs up across Dragon Hill, Whitehorse Hill, Uffington Down and the gallops on Woolstone Down before turning north again as the eastern boundary across Kingston Warren Down and Ram's Hill, almost to Fawler and partially along Stutfield Brook. The parish formerly included Baulking and Woolstone.

Uffington United Football Club plays in North Berks Football League Division Four. Uffington Cricket Club plays in Oxfordshire Cricket Association Division Four. Uffington has also a badminton club and a tennis club.

Claim to fame:

John Betjeman, Poet Laureate, lived in the village and Thomas Hughes, author of Tom Brown's School Days, was born at Uffington vicarage. Several of Hughes' books are based on local people and places; the museum is actually housed in the school featured in his most famous work.


View Larger Map